Subject: Re: pkg_install/libnbcompat on OpenBSD
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/16/2003 08:10:53
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> > > I see you just changed the definition of ${PERL5} in
> > > .../pkgsrc/mk/defs.OpenBSD.mk to "usr/bin/perl". I suspect this will
> > > cause "pkgsrc" perl modules to install into the base system's perl
> > > directories (unless the user overrides the definition). Is that what
> > > you want? Where does OpenBSD ports install the perl modules?
> >
> > 	oops.  i do not want lang/perl/buidlink.mk (or USE_PERL) to build perl,
> > 	how can i do that?
>
> You can't (yet).  Use of a non-pkgsrc perl isn't something that pkgsrc
> supports because a non-pkgsrc perl won't look in the right spots for
> pkgsrc-installed perl5 modules.  We don't (yet) have a way to say
> "I only want the perl binary and nothing else".

I haven't actually tried it, but I think the module's Makefile.PL will
install it to the "right" place, and that the logic in bsd.pkg.mk will
find that place and register it correctly. I'm just not sure that we
want to encourage that. It's bad enough how pkgsrc competes with CPAN;
it'll be worse on OpenBSD with OpenBSD ports in the picture.

Frederick