Subject: Re: Package Views Integration (finally!)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/22/2003 17:39:09
[ On Friday, August 22, 2003 at 07:13:10 (-0400), Dan McMahill wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Package Views Integration (finally!)
>
> my experience with SEPP at work has been the opposite.  In fact I can
> clearly recall more than one instance where the ability to have multiple
> installed versions of a program really saved the day.  For example,
> group A needs a new version of some program because it has a critical
> new feature.  Unfortunately the new version has a fatal bug for some
> users in group B.  Now the immediate needs of both can be satisfied
> until a solution to the bugs can be found.

Sure, but that's not a very good reason to add in all the other
complexity and overhead of any depo-like scheme.

Even rather complex packages like GCC can have multiple versions
simultaneously installed, and it's almost trivial to simultaneously
install multiple versions of any simpler package built with GNU Automake
(or otherwise following the full GNU Makefile Standards).  Teaching
pkgsrc to make use of this feature would be far easier than integrating
pkgviews.

--
						Greg A. Woods