Subject: Re: Package Views Integration (finally!)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/22/2003 17:35:36
[ On Friday, August 22, 2003 at 11:16:05 (+0200), Alan Barrett wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Package Views Integration (finally!)
>
> For syspkgs, I really do not want any kind of link farm at all.

That could be fun!  :-)  [i.e. not at all!]

> For pkgsrc packages, I want to choose whether or not to have a link
> farm.  I can imagine wanting to make different decisions for different
> packages.

Yes, that might be a very useful option as well, though again it's
something that would have a rather narrow scope and would no doubt be
primarily used only by pkgsrc maintainers on the bleeding edge.

> It looks as though my wishes are granted.  As far as I can tell, if a
> binary package does not contain a +VIEWS or +DEPOT file then pkg_add
> will install it the old way, and if pkg_create is invoked without a "-E"
> option then it will create binary packages the old way.

Well that's good for you, but how does it help non-binary pkgsrc users?

We cannot compile packages to use pkgviews and then somehow magically
transmogrify them into non-pkgviews binary packages.  That's simply not
possible to do safely (at least not without Todd's backwards pkgviews
symlink hack).

--
						Greg A. Woods