Subject: Re: Package Views Integration (finally!)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/21/2003 19:21:23
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:

: > : Binary packages are exactly the place where I definitely do not ever
: > : want to use any depot-like scheme.
: >
: > If pkg_add lets you choose how it's installed, what's the difference?
:
: How can pkg_add deal with the versioning of configuration files and
: other internal interfaces?  It can't.

That's not what I asked.

In fact, I've already addressed this particular issue (configuration files)
at length and offered an alternative that you may not have taken the time to
read yet.  I don't feel like rehashing the whole damned thing all over again
just to get back on topic.

What I asked is how there's any difference ig pkg_add allows depot-style
installations, when that behavior doesn't have to be used.  If you'd bother
to read my fallback alternative suggestion, it gives a very nice and neat
way to deal with the whole mess while still gaining the benefits inherent in
building to a depot-like install prefix.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>