Subject: Re: PKG_USERS adding user but group doesn't exist
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/21/2003 09:43:41
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Todd Vierling wrote:

> : I don't think we should assume that the group (defined in PKG_USERS)
> : exists. It should be checked and added if needed.
>
> Add PKG_GROUPS in addition to PKG_USERS and you will get the behavior you

I understand this. But the comment in the INSTALL script is misleading:
if I am reading it right, it doesn't really check if the group exists
before adding the user.

In my case, it was just because my ROOT_GROUP (which was wrong) did not
exist.

I was thinking that many other packages will probably have problems too.
But I was wrong. I only found one: databases/gnats which assumes "daemon"
group.

Anyways, the ROOT_GROUP and the "daemon" groups are standard so this
problem is probably very small. And probably PKG_GROUPS should not be used
for it, because we probably don't want to see the message suggesting
removing the groups at deinstall.

By the way, mail/qpopper/Makefile doesn't have group defined in PKG_USERS
even though documentation in mk/bsd.pkg.install.mk says "the user and
group are required".

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/