Subject: Re: lightweight groff package?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/21/2003 11:30:19
On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 11:13:41AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Sean Davis wrote:
>
> : It is my understanding that ARTS needs KDE. If neither QT or ARTS need KDE,
> : then why does mplayer go off building kdebase unless you disable ARTS in
> : mk.conf?
>
> I do use KDE, but the arts package depends on qt3-libs (and qt3-tools for
> building), and kdebase depends on arts (not the other way round).  At the
> time you tried building and saw this behavior, the following line in
> audio/arts/buildlink.mk may not have been commented out:
>
> #.include "../../x11/kde3/buildlink2.mk"
>
> IMNSHO, the above shouldn't even be there.  arts can run perfectly happily
> without any KDE apps or libraries, as I've seen on a friend's GNOME-based
> NetBSD box.
>
> As of this writing, I can see no way that mplayer can depend on kde*
> packages, though by default it will depend on arts, which depends on
> qt3-{libs,tools}.

Well, it was something like a week ago when I rebuilt mplayer, so it is
probable that it doesn't anymore. I only meant to use that as an example of
one (relatively) small thing causing one (extremely :) huge thing to get
built, by way of the pkgsrc defaults.

> : > But if you can turn it off in mk.conf, then there is no problem.
>
> : I suppose I agree, but it would be nice if it were easier to find the knobs
> : than to have to dig through bsd.pkg.mk. (as in, if there were an MKOPTIONS
> : file in the pkgsrc dirs, that listed the different options for that package.
> : I realize that would be a lot of work, its not really a suggestion, but it
> : would be nice.)
>
> mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk is one such place, though it's getting kind of large.
> It should probably be split sometime into package-specific and pkgsrc-global
> bits.

I agree. A subdirectory in mk/ to contain package-specific .mk's perhaps? (I'm
no make guru; I have no idea if subdirectories under mk/ are a good idea or
a terrible one, it's just what occured to me as a possibility.)

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!