Subject: Re: Solaris pkgsrc
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Julien T. Letessier <mezis@users.sourceforge.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/20/2003 12:28:23
--------------enig1697846DA233F069EE8F1C25

Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> just a note, we don't support using GNU binutils on Solaris.  i
> personally had very bad luck using it (especially on sparc64).  if there
> are problems within pkgsrc with Solaris ld, they should be fixed.

Lubomir, could you give some details about the problems you've
encounterd with GNU ld on sparc64? We at Solarpack use it exclusively to
build our packages, and we've never encountered any problems.

And about Solaris ld, our opinion is that pkgsrc should be made as
independent as possible from the underlying platform tools (whose
evolution and behavior we don't control). The good side of this is that
packages are usually designed for a GNU tool chain, and are therefore
much more portable if you use the same tool chain everywhere.

Cheers,
--
Julien T. Letessier
Solarpack Project

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail & vCards