Subject: Re: Few thoughts about pkgsrc and low disk space computers
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/15/2003 08:50:00
Le Fri, 15 Aug 2003 02:55:39 +0200
Michal Pasternak a ecrit :
[...]
> 1. Suppose a package is built as a dependency. I'd expect behaviour
[...]
>    As it came out, dependencies are not cleaned automatically, I have to
>    ,,make clean-depends''. Why this is default behaviour? What are the
>    pro's of not cleaning dependencies automatically?

I don't why it should clean the dependency, but not the package it's
building. Besides, make package needs a built package in work, AFAIK, so
if you want to make a package afterwards, you'll appreciate the
dependencies not being cleaned.

It's a matter of taste, I guess. I don't find 'make install clean
clean-depends' either ugly or over necessary.

> 2. Why the dependencies are checked _after_ the package has been
> extracted?
>    Wouldn't it be a bit better to first check if the dependencies are
>    available, if not - build them first, then clean them, then extract
>    the,,main'' package and return to it's build?

I really think this is already the case. For example, when the DISTFILE is
zipped, unzip is added as a build dependency and of course checked and
built *before* extraction, as others.

> 3. For *build* dependencies only: suppose a package A needs package B to
>    build. Package B is not installed. Wouldn't it be useful to add an
>    option to automatically deinstall build depends (package B) after a
>    successful build of package A in case package B is not needed by any
>    other packages?

I agree: it could be optional. But if you install from pkgsrc, a build
dependency can be useful for another package. When you 'make package' for
another machine, you get the build dependency package built, but you don't
have to install it and it won't be installed automatically.

> 4. I found pkg_tarup very useful. Do you? Do you think, that further
[...]
>    Do you think, that adding such options to pkg_tarup would be useful,
>    or would it be a waste of time (just because pkgsrc can do such
>    things) ?   Don't forget, that pkg_tarup can save a lot of time, when

Fully agreed. Send patches :)

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.