Subject: Re: circular dependency for gcc with USE_GCC[23]
To: Stoned Elipot <seb@starfleet.univ-paris7.fr>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/11/2003 14:44:00
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Stoned Elipot wrote:

> > The reason you need the rest of the patch is so that you can build gcc
> > with USE_GCC2 or gcc3 with USE_GCC3. I suggest you pkg_delete gcc and
> > gmake, and then try to build gcc with USE_GCC2 set in mk.conf.
>
> Ouch that's a even nastier manifestation of the some problem I suppose.
> I dare to say that the culprit is tools.mk ;)

tools.mk suffers the same problem, but the culprit here is
gcc.buildlink2.mk.

I'm thinking through a more generic solution, but for now I think this is
the right answer.

> Yeah I think this one will go in at least for the
> reduce-fat on bsd.pkg.mk goal. But I admit is it a bit slower
> than clean-depends-list...

It produces much more lean results than clean-depends-list, though, so if
you actually run a make clean on each of those directories, I suspect you
end up doing less work overall.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget