Subject: Re: JAVA
To: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/06/2003 09:40:05
Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:

> Hi folks,
> we at the Aus Bureau of Met are putting a box together that
> will serve web pages of climate data for the Australian climate
> archive.
>
> The opportunity exists to make this a netbsd machine.
> Trouble is the web guys tell me they need jdk 1.4 and the
> ports tree only shows jdk 1.1.  Bummer.
>
> Is jdk 1.4 just around the corner?
> Any other suggestions?
>
> thanks,
> Paul.

Hi,

I've been using the Linux emulated jdk 1.4.1 from pkgsrc. I haven't done
any real tests, but perceived performance is no different on NetBSD than
on a similar machine running Linux. I have been making heavy use of
threads, Swing, CORBA and other Java network API's without problem. In
short, I'd be prepared to use NetBSD and Java in a production
environment but YMMV.

Chris