Subject: Re: Consistent "Optional Dependecy" handling
To: None <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/01/2003 00:47:36
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:30:43 -0500
Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org> wrote:

> > Another way it is done is by having separate packages, for example,
> > see: chat/gaim-gtk1
> > comms/efax-gtk
> > editors/vim-gtk
> > editors/vim-gtk2
> > games/freeciv-client-gtk
> > graphics/libexif-gtk
> > net/firewalk-gtk
> > net/mtr-gtk
> > time/asclock-gtk
> > wip/nvtv-gtk2
> > x11/asclock-gtk
> >
> > I agree it would be good to have a "USE_GTK" variable.
>
> Yes, this would eliminate alot of redundancy by centralizing the very
> few difference present in say, vim-gtk1 and vim-gtk2

And you are screwed up with binary packages.  This is all wonderful when
using pkgsrc directly, but how do you tell if foobar-1.0.tgz in the ftp
include gtk support or not?  And, if it included gtk by default, what
happens if you don't need it and don't want to rebuilt the package?
etcetera...  (though in some cases they are really necessary...)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>