Subject: Re: Consistent "Optional Dependecy" handling
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2003 16:40:35
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> foobar-arts, foobar-esound, foobar-gtk, foobar-arts-esound, foobar-arts-gtk,
> foobar-esound-gtk, foobar-arts-esound-gtk... *sigh*
>
> This seems quite flexible, but I doubt it is really good.  And imagine what
> could happen with... mplayer hehe.

That definitely wouldn't be useful for official downloads, but maybe for
some NetBSD users.

As for me, the only thing I really use is USE_PAM and USE_CRACKLIB under
Linux. (And on some custom pkgsrc of mine, I have a feature that makes it
so ncurses and other libraries are always registered as dependencies.) And
I don't want the package name (or filename) changed!

> And, just curious.  What could happen if you have USE_GTK=NO and you try to
> build, say xmms?  You get "pkg useless without gtk" or the package is built
> unconditionally as it's its default?

Just do its default -- and you get gtk.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/