Subject: Re: Consistent "Optional Dependecy" handling
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2003 16:03:57
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> And you are screwed up with binary packages.  This is all wonderful when
> using pkgsrc directly, but how do you tell if foobar-1.0.tgz in the ftp
> include gtk support or not?  And, if it included gtk by default, what
> happens if you don't need it and don't want to rebuilt the package?
> etcetera...  (though in some cases they are really necessary...)

We already do offer that feature (and yes, it could be a problem).

The OpenBSD "FLAVOR" like solution would be for the name of the package to
change too (i.e. add "-gtk" to the filename and maybe also package name).

And in another message on Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Nate Hill wrote:

> Okay, so after learning some more about pkgsrc, I have a slight and
> rough proposal:
>
> Standardize the USE* variables in bsd.pkg.defaults.mk:
>
> USE_FOO		<- generic YES|NO flag for feature FOO

Yes.

> USE_FOO_FOO2	<- use feature FOO2 for package FOO (specific quirks)

I think that the standard is to use the PACKAGE_USE_FOO (package name
first).

> Allow package Makefiles to use conditional statements based on USE
> variables:

Many packages already do this :)

> Being able to set USE_GTK = NO in mk.conf would be extremely useful...

Need to find a developer who has the time to do this. Hopefully, you can
provide some patches.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/