Subject: Re: Consistent "Optional Dependecy" handling
To: None <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
From: Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2003 17:48:16
On Thu July 31 2003 16:59, Nate Hill wrote:
> I'm probably asking an irrelevant question but, is there any
> standard method for disabling/enabling/preferring specific
> dependencies which are optional with respect the package.
> Anyways, I'm looking for something similar to Gentoo's "USE Flags"
> system...

Okay, so after learning some more about pkgsrc, I have a slight and
rough proposal:

Standardize the USE* variables in bsd.pkg.defaults.mk:

USE_FOO		<- generic YES|NO flag for feature FOO
USE_FOO_FOO2	<- use feature FOO2 for package FOO (specific quirks)

Allow package Makefiles to use conditional statements based on USE
variables:

(syntax is just what I'm used too, it can be anything really)

if (USE_FOO == YES)
	.include "../../foo-cat/foo/buildlink2.mk"

This seems like it would make configuration much simpler (and
extensible). We could add these vars to defaults.mk as we see fit
(hopefully quickly) and maintain the current defaults for
compatibily.

Being able to set USE_GTK = NO in mk.conf would be extremely useful...

--
Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>