Subject: libtool oddity
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/29/2003 13:23:48
For those of you who understand libtool hackery, there are a few
packages I'm coming across using pkgsrc under SunOS which always
miss out one of the shared library symlinks.

Both devel/smpeg and now audio/SDL_mixer create all the shared
libraries fine, but seem to omit the libfoo-<version>.so symlink:

 (libSDL_mixer.la)
  # The name that we can dlopen(3).
  dlname='libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.2'

  # Names of this library.
  library_names='libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.2.3 libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.2 libSDL_mixer.so'

 (PLIST)
  lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.so
  lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.2
  lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.2.3
  lib/libSDL_mixer.so

 (libsmpeg.la)
  # The name that we can dlopen(3).
  dlname='libsmpeg-0.4.so.1'

  # Names of this library.
  library_names='libsmpeg-0.4.so.1.3 libsmpeg-0.4.so.1 libsmpeg.so'

 (PLIST)
  lib/libsmpeg-0.4.so
  lib/libsmpeg-0.4.so.1
  lib/libsmpeg-0.4.so.1.3
  lib/libsmpeg.so

Basically, if anyone who knows buildlink/libtool innards well can
provide pointers or a fix, that'd be good, else I'll carry on looking
through (don't know whether this behaviour exhibits on other OS too).

SunOS 5.{8,9}, latest lang/gcc3, etc.

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin                             <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>