Subject: Re: Mesa breakage
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/24/2003 09:38:20
--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/

Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk> wrote:
> Mesa is currently broken on SunOS.  It looks from an initial glance
> that it's because MesaLib is actually 2 different versions (3.4.2
> and 5.0.1), but nobody has taken into account that the pkgsrc
> patches will obviously only apply to one, not the other.

Yes, I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that we can not go on
like this.  I'd advocate dropping 3.4.2 completely -- we don't have many
other packages where we try to maintain an old version and a new version
parallel to each other.  (Also, a 3.4.2 package would need to do the
whole does-it-come-with-X-or-not-or-should-we-use-a-newer-version dance
yet again.)

Standard way of getting a discussion started:
"So, unless I hear any objections in the next couple of days, I'll make
it so."

-Jan

--=20
Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/--