Subject: Re: Removal of gaim-gtk1
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/23/2003 10:07:34
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Greg Troxel wrote:

: So, I think gnome libs need to stay until all programs which use them
: have either been replaced/surpassed by their gnome2 versions, or have
: been abandoned by their maintainers, or the balance of grief rises due
: to security problems found in gnome1 that don't get fixed.  I bet this
: is at least summer 2004, if not later.

Much later.  GTK1 apps are likely to linger for a long time.

: * does the gtk1 (or gnome1) version "work"?
: * is the gtk2 (or gnome2) version "better"?

For gaim, yes on both counts.  However, there's actually three such
packages:

chat/gaim-gtk1   -> GTK1 client, without panel applet
chat/gaim-gnome  -> GTK1 client, as panel applet
chat/gaim        -> GTK2 client, uses XEMBED rather than panel applet

In my humble opinion -- certainly not authoritative for pkgsrc:

The gaim-gtk1 package can finally go out the door, because the main
objections to going fully to GTK2 gaim is the lack of a panel applet.
Simply retaining gaim-gnome[*] should suffice here.  Anyone who wasn't using
the panel applet should have no problems running the GTK2 version (except
for the addition of GTK2 libraries, which are increasingly needed throughout
pkgsrc anyway).

[*] Or, perhaps, moving the panel applet logic from gaim-gnome to gaim-gtk1,
    and dropping the gaim-gnome name -- this would likely look saner to
    someone browsing pkgsrc, as "gaim-gnome" is ambiguous as to which GNOME
    version it refers.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>