Subject: Mesa 3.4.2
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/17/2003 15:47:17
--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

Hi everybody,

Currently, we have several possibilities for Mesa (ie MesaLib, glu,
glut) to be installed, but there is one combination which currently does
not work:  xpokgwedge and installing Mesa 3.4.2.  A package that
requires GL functionality would not be a problem under these
circumstances, as it would not try to build Mesa 3.4.2 (it finds the
version that comes with X).

However, a user may want to install Mesa versoin 3.4.2 even though that
functionality is provided by X.  With an xpkgwedged system there really
isn't any reason why that should be impossible.  However, I believe that
that package would need to be significantly different from what we have
right now (it will require glut, but that glut must not be linked
against the installed version from X but needs to build at the same
time).

So, we have the option of ripping 3.4.2 out and creating a Mesa3
package, or simply saying "you can't do that; if you're on xpkgwedge,
you will get Mesa 5.x".

Thoughts?

-Jan

--=20
"When it's fall in New York, the air smells as if someone's been frying
goats in it, and if you are keen to breathe the best plan is to open a
window and stick your head in a building."

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--