Subject: Re: gcc3's cpp not defining __GNUC__
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/2003 07:57:59
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	Actuall.. not fixed. bugger.
>
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 	'Fixed' this by regenerating configure using autoconf2.57 rather
> > 	than 2.13
> >
> > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, David Brownlee wrote:
> >
> > > 	gcc3's cpp does not appear to define __GNUC__.
> > > `	This chokes at least audio/mserv's configure script as it
> > > 	tries to cpp a testfile containing several #include<>s, which
> > > 	themselves include sys/cdefs.h, which hits the #error in the
> > > 	following:

I think this is also why gcc3-c can't build itself. The "fixincludes"
thing replaces most instances of #if _NETBSD_SOURCE with #if __GNUC__,
so with gcc3, you need those defines just to get the correct
prototypes for free(), malloc(), memcpy() and many more.

I think we should be able to set "CPP=${GCC_PREFIX}/bin/cpp -gcc" in
${CONFIGURE_ENV} to get those definitions. That would also avoid the
situation where you get the wrong "cpp" from the path.

Frederick