Subject: Re: Thought on pkgviews
To: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/14/2003 14:51:33
On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:43:50PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:

> After looking through the whole pkgviews thing, it looks great,
> except that I cannot see a way to have e.g.
>
> ${PREFIX}/pkg/${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM}/pth-2.0.0 (or whatever).
>
> for the various compiled types (SunOS 5.6 for compat vs 5.9 for
> versioned libraries, gcc vs Sun Workshop cc, etc), it only seems to
> allow a single compiled package, but then include that package in
> different views.

Yes, this is possible with pkgviews as described in Alistair Crooks'
Package Views paper.  In the implementation that I'm hacking on,
when building packages on each platform, it's possible to specify the
depot directory in which the actual package will install itself, e.g.

    make build DEPOT_SUBDIR=packages/${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM}

from your example above.  After a package has been installed into
its depot directory, it would be possible to use pkg_view(1) to
add the package to the correct view, e.g.

    pkg_view -d /usr/pkg/packages/${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM} \
             -v ${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM} add <pkg-name>

would add <pkg-name> into
/usr/pkg/${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM}/{bin,include,lib}, etc.

This will hit pkgsrc in the coming days and weeks, so stay tuned.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>