Subject: Re: pkg/17776
To: Julien T. Letessier <mezis@free.fr>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/11/2003 08:46:34
gavan@ and I have been doing some more with this, and there is one
big problem with this approach.

we need to identify every package which needs it, and as packages get
updated, they may "silently" break -- breakage that may not be picked
up, as sometimes the package continues to build, leaving it OK as far
as pkgsrc is concerned, but with internal breakage present.

as we all know, /usr/bin/{awk,sed} on Solaris are insufficient for
pkgsrc use, and for a lot of individual packages, too.

where we know certain tools are insufficient, yet a suitable version
exists elsewhere (eg. nawk, xpg4, etc.), we should unconditionally
link these into the buildlink/bin directory. this means splitting
some of g{awk,sed}/buildlink2.mk out into mk/.

I will look at doing this shortly, unless there are alternative
approaches I haven't yet heard? :-)

g.