Subject: Re: Serious Arts problems
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
From: Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/2003 12:56:38
On Tuesday July 1 2003 12:06, Nick Hudson wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 July 2003 7:11 am, MLH wrote:
> > Nate Hill wrote:
> > > Well, I'm posting this to the lists incase somebody has experienced
> > > this and/or has a solution.  I built KDE-3.1.2 using the kde3 "wrapper"
> > > package

> > >  I have tried to play .mp3 and .ogg files in noatun unsuccessfully (it
> > > just soft hangs in a "play" state but, makes no decoding progress)
> > > however, I can play
> > > all .wav files through noatun.  I beleive this is an arts problem not
> > > noatun
> > > because sound previews don't work either (purely arts, right?).  I
> > > would
> >
> > Not sure how much is arts and how much is noatun, but noatun broke
> > on all my boxes when SA was brought into -current. Haven't tried
> > it on 1.6.1
>
> OK, the audio/arts configure goop gets pthread detection wrong on -current
> systems. I'll ty and fix it over the next few days...
>
> Nick
> ps. please use send-pr in the future.

I'm running 1.6.1 and I'm still experiencing this problem.  I've been busy and
esd+xmms has been "working".  Anyways, I talked to Mark Davies and he said
that my problem with noatun seems widespread (only plays ~1 second of
.mp3|.ogg) and my artsdsp problems are expected.  So, not that those
shouldn't be fixed I'm wondering why my other packages don't detect the
presence of aRts and compile output plugins and such (mplayer, xmms).  I have
not yet successfully played any non-wav format using aRts.

--
Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>