Subject: Re: removal of lang/egcs ?
To: J. Alexander Jacocks <jjacocks@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/2003 11:32:35
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
[top-post fixed]
> On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 08:00 AM, Stoned Elipot wrote:
>
> > I fail to see a reason to keep the lang/egcs package around.
> >
> > It is marked as only for solaris and gcc and gcc3 (at least) packages
> > seem to work flawlessly on this pkgsrc platform.
> >
> > If nobody speaks up in the next few days, I'll remove it.
>
> As far as I am aware, the gcc3 package for NetBSD/Sparc and NetBSD
> packages on Solaris does not support -m64.  THus, I think that this
> package needs to be kept for now.
>
> Please let me know if I am misinformed.

I think the problem with Sparc is that gcc-3.3 exposes a bug in "ld".
Since the package already depends on bintutils (for "gas"), we could
easily make it use the bintutils "ld", but that leads to a bogus
dependency on "iconv" because of buildlink brokenness. USE_BUILDLINK=
can be commented out to fix that problem, as it serves no useful
purpose anyway (./xgcc isn't wrapped), but I believe that would be
ideologically unacceptable. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Frederick