Subject: Re: Adding brs to pkgsrc
To: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/2003 09:29:29
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 11:10:17AM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 06:47:17PM -0700, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> > I have put together an entry for brs, a King James Version Bible
> > program, for pkgsrc. The tarball is available from:
> >
> > http://www.bsdjournal.net/brs.tar.gz
> >
> > What is the best way to get this committed? Is send-pr the preferred
> > way? This is the first time I have packaged a program and I am a little
> > unfamiliar with how to submit a package through send-pr. I looked for an
> > example in the database but I could not find one. I read through
> > Packages.txt but that did not clear up all my questions. Could anyone
> > show me an example submission done using send-pr or suggest a better
> > way of doing it? Thank you.
>
> If you have a server you can post the package on, the best approach is
> to file a PR, with a URL pointing to the package you've built.

I should have been more clear. The URL at the top of this message is the
package, not the distfile. So having a server is no problem. I have more
servers than I know what to do with at the moment.

> If you don't have a server, it is acceptable to uuencode the package and
> include it in the PR, but it's not the preferred method, since it adds
> bulk (and no real value) to the PR database.

I wondered about that. Packages.txt seems to suggest that everything
needs to be uuencoded and attached to the PR. Thank you for the
clarification.

Bryan