Subject: Same shared libraries in base and pkgsrc, was Re: lang/gcc3/buildlink2.mk
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/2003 11:17:16
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Todd Vierling wrote:

> (Whenever pkgsrc might gain the ability to register *multiple* packages per
> build a la RPM, of course, this would become a non-issue and trivial to
> implement -- as you could produce binary packages of devel and runtime and
> reinstall only the runtime via pkg_add on the destination system.)

The devel/run-time split causes no end of problems for Red Hat users.
A FAQ on nearly every active Open Source project these days is, "Your
configure script says png-NNN is not installed, but it is!"

In the long run, users are going to upgrade to NetBSD 2.0 (or they'll
upgrade to their vendors latest version, who will upgrade to gcc-3.3*,
same difference), whereupon the libstdc++ in ${PREFIX}/lib will
magically become a useless appendage, otherwise known as an
"unecessary dependency". Every attempt we've made to deal with this
issue, so far, has been a disaster. The "xpm" package is now
improperly being built and installed on current with latest "xsrc",
and I don't even want to talk about OpenSSL. I think, at times, it
would be better if users "just knew" that such libraries needed
special handling.

Maybe it would be wiser to make /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 a symlink
into ${PREFIX}/lib (same for libgcc_s.so.1)? For "xpm", perhaps we
should simply set PKG_NO_REGISTER, and simplify the dependency logic
accordingly?

Frederick