Subject: Re: SPECIAL_PERMS on files?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/03/2003 10:59:55
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:52:42 +0200 (MEST)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Johnny Lam wrote:
> > > I understand that tar/pax cannot be trusted to preserve permissions of
> > > directories, but why is SPECIAL_PERMS used for files? As far as I
> > > understand, tar/pax handles them fine.  What's the idea here?
> >
> > It's primarily for when the file needs to be set to a certain user or
> > group that may be created by the package.  I'd gotten into the habit of
> > also noting setuid programs installed by the package just for the sake
> > of documentation.
>
> Um, so it's mostly duplicate work from what a "make install" does, no real
> need?

If you use SPECIAL_PERMS then you shouldn't need to set them in the install
stage, as I understand it.  Also, it is useful to set permissions of files
that are copied outside LOCALBASE (i.e., in sysconfdir or in /var), isn't it?

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>