Subject: Re: pkg_create -O bug fixes
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2003 16:37:54
[ On Sunday, June 29, 2003 at 14:14:35 (-0500), David Young wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: pkg_create -O bug fixes
>
> BTW, I don't think it's true that a package name ending in -1.6U.0
> or -1.6U is invalid. Package names which pass through that code path
> commonly contain version numbers, e.g., *-1.4.2.tgz. The @name is written
> with the version number. Do tell if I misunderstand, since it's probably
> important to System Packages.

I had thought that only magic like "rc" and "pl" were allowed in package
version strings, but indeed I see pkg_info(1) now says in part:

              [[....]]    The collating sequence of the various package ver-
             sion numbers is unusual, but strives to be consistent.  The magic
             string ``rc'' equates to release candidate and sorts before a re-
             lease.  For example, name-1.3rc3 will sort before name-1.3 and
             after name-1.2.9 In addition, alphabetic characters sort in the
             same place as their numeric counterparts, so that name-1.2e has
             the same sorting value as name-1.2.5 The magic string ``pl''
             equates to a patch level and has the same value as a dot in the
             dewey-decimal ordering schemes.

So in theory "*-1.6U" should be equivalent, collating-wise, to "*-1.6.48"

So, I think you're right, there's a bug somewhere in how pkg_create
deals with package names that end with a non-numeric "extension".

--
								Greg A. Woods