Subject: Re: make replace
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/16/2003 08:17:24
On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, David Maxwell wrote:

> > > How did you find out that there was a 'replace' target to make? That
> >
> > When package already installed it says you may use "make
> > replace".
>
> Well, specifically, it does say
>
> *** If so, you may use either of:
> ***  - "pkg_delete screen-3.9.11nb1" and "make reinstall" to upgrade
> properly
> ***  - "make update" to rebuild the package and all of its dependencies
> ***  - "make replace" to replace only the package without re-linking
> ***    dependencies, risking various problems.
>
> So, that particular way of learning about 'make replace' does indicate
> that using it will 'risk various problems'.

I read it as having that warning for using "make update" also.

Also, I read the "risking various problems" as meaning that if the build
stops somewhere, then various software may be deinstalled but not
installed again. And I also read that warning as libraries not matching
up.

It doesn't say that it is experimental.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/