Subject: Re: emailing MESSAGE/+DISPLAY
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/15/2003 01:14:47
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:55:44 +1000, Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org> wrote:
>   | > This is in regards to having an option to email the +DISPLAY
>   | > messages when doing a pkg_add (and emailing the MESSAGEs when
>   | > doing a "make install").
>
> On the other hand, I would find this concept as a useful optional
> feature, and I've seen a lot of other people express a desire for
> a similar feature.

As someone who remembers being a naïve user of pkgsrc -- and who despite
reading this list arguably still is -- I'd like to add my voice to the Yes
chorus.  In my view, the mail should go to the installing user (not root).
 And the mail should be sent by default, so that if nothing else the user
sees "you have new mail".  Experienced users, such as participate here,
will have no trouble defeating this service, and the newcomer will profit
from it.

--jkl