Subject: Re: make replace
To: Micha? Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/14/2003 09:26:43
On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:57:55AM +0200, Micha? Pasternak wrote:
> Masao Uebayashi [Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 03:36:44PM +0900]:
> [...]
> > > It warned me about data loss but it gave me no chance to bail-out before
> > > it started to work.
> >
> > So, you learnt that you should do things more carefully? ;)
>
> Yes. Also I suggest displaying this warning a little bit earlier to
> give the user a chance to break.

How did you find out that there was a 'replace' target to make? That
source should have been the indication that 'make replace' is
experimental (note on the experiment: Works well for me :-).

I don't think adding a delay, or prompting, would be appropriate, but
perhaps requiring a PKG_EXPERIMENTAL=YES in mk.conf and making
experimental targets require that...

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,