Subject: Re: DESCR per operating system
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/13/2003 13:12:34
[ On Friday, June 13, 2003 at 09:32:12 (-0700), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: DESCR per operating system
>
> That is an example of something that could be moved to a DESCR.NetBSD and
> DESCR.FreeBSD. (I think placing in MESSAGE it too late, because users
> generally don't read that until after they install the software).
>
> Other examples could be added for Postfix, Sendmail, tnftpd, tnftp, BIND,
> et cetera, for DESCR.NetBSD. Simply saying soemthing like: "A version of
> this software is already available in the default installation of NetBSD."
> (But this is not needed, but may be helpful for some NetBSD users.)

I think you're grasping desparately at nearly non-existant straws.

There's really no need here to support per-target-OS DESCR files just
for these kinds of innocuous comments.  They don't harm anyone and they
won't really mislead anyone (provided they're worded appropriately).

Indeed their inclusion in the common DESCR file might even lead some
poor ignorant soul to learn something about the other OS!

--
								Greg A. Woods