Subject: Re: amanda vs darwin (OS/X)?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/12/2003 08:40:00
Amanda does indeed work with OS/X.

While there is dump(8), I think that only works on ufs partitions.
For those, I suspect everything is pretty normal.  For HFS, we have
been installing hfstar, which I think is GNU tar modified to record
HFS metadata as well, and pointing the amanda client configure at
hfstar.  Then we put tar in the dumptype on the server.  (Sorry for
the lack of clarity - my sysadmin set this up (he is very amanda- and
bsd-clueful but was somewhat new to macs) and I was spared the
details.  But that's a good sign, really.)

        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>