Subject: Re: emailing MESSAGE/+DISPLAY
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/12/2003 02:17:45
[ On Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 14:44:42 (-0700), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: emailing MESSAGE/+DISPLAY
>
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > Please just have them appended to the +DISPLAY file so that they're always
> > available in the most logical place.
>
> The MESSAGEs should already be part of the +DISPLAY files. If I am
> misunderstanding this, please point me to an example.

The MESSAGE source file(s) become the +DISPLAY file, which is displayed
with "pkg_info -D".

Aren't we still talking about all the other important "dynamic"
installation and configuration instructions that are displayed by the
REQUIRE and INSTALL script(s) (e.g. those displayed by the
pkgsrc/mk/install/* stuff)?

> Or do you mean that other dependencies' MESSAGEs should be appended to one
> +DISPLAY file?

No, no, absolutely not.  It's easy enough to figure out all the
dependencies for a package and then display the +DISPLAY files for the
resulting list of packages with "pkg_info -D".

--
								Greg A. Woods