Subject: emailing MESSAGE/+DISPLAY
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/11/2003 13:07:16
Before I send-pr patches for pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk and pkg_install's
files/add/perform.c, I have some questions.

This is in regards to having an option to email the +DISPLAY messages when
doing a pkg_add (and emailing the MESSAGEs when doing a "make install"). I
have used this off-and-on for over a year. It is very useful. Debian also
does similar. And this will help when many admins miss or forget the
MESSAGEs. Especially, when installing many packages that pull in
dependencies, it is near impossible to remember without saving output and
searching it, or looking under /var/db/pkg/*/+DISPLAY.

I think that by default the root should get the messages. But some users
may do this with non-root (maybe). Should the email be sent to ${USER},
user from getpwuid(getuid()), or some variable like ADMIN_EMAIL?

How would the email address be defined for use with pkg_add? (Right now,
it only gets configurations via command-line args or via environment
variables, and no separate config file).

Right now, I just email to root.

Also, what option (and/or environment variable) be used to tell pkg_add to
email the +DISPLAY too?

(With bsd.pkg.mk, I use MAIL_MESSAGE variable.)

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. Can some use and close PR #21732?

I don't have my own CVS of these files, so it is difficult to keep
different versions. What do other pkgsrc developers do? Do you maintain
your own CVS checkins in your own CVS tree too?