Subject: Re: is there still need for devel/bmake and devel/mk-files?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/08/2003 11:38:59
Frank Cusack <fcusack@fcusack.com> wrote:

> My fix (and the only correct one, IMHO) is to keep devel/bmake etc current
> and compatible.  So I'd suggest the reverse--bootstrap-pkgsrc should go
> away and instead be a meta package which is comprised of devel/bmake etc.

I very much agree, and I believe that this was, a few months ago at
least, the plan (which is why pkgtools/pkg_install has the actual files
in it).

The way bootstrapping should work is (abbreviated and abstractly jotted
down from the top of my head):

Install base operating system.
Download pkgsrc and extract
cd pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/bootstrap-pkgsrc
make install

Note that this 'make' could be _any_ make, as at this point in time we
don't have 'bmake' yet (if needed).  The problem lies in the
registration of the packages when all the tools are not yet installed.
The pkg-files (for /var/db/pkg/*) will need to be created by "hand" (or
rather by bootstrap-pkgsrc/pkg.sh).  They would need to be registered
using PKG_PRESERVE, and then, possibly might be re-built as a proper
package.

Or something like that.

-Jan

--
   It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.
		  -- Calvin