Subject: Re: is there still need for devel/bmake and devel/mk-files?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/06/2003 11:56:26
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > I don't want to have to use bootstrap-pkgsrc on my Linux systems. I want
> > to do a "pkg_add bmake bc file gcc3 mawk tnftp mk-files", untar the
> > pkgsrc.tar.gz and be ready to use it.
>
> Where does "pkg_add" come from? Is there a RedHat rpm for it?

I packaged pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install on a different system, placed it on
a local FTP site (and on CDs) along with numerous other packages. I use
these packages for my own Linux (but are useful for basically any Linux).

I wouldn't consider making an RPM for pkg_add. I don't want to have two
different packaging systems on my Linux boxes. It doesn't make a lot of
sense to me to install software from two different packaging systems --
when there may be possible conflicts and since I like pkgsrc (and
pkg_install) and it works for me.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/