Subject: Re: is there still need for devel/bmake and devel/mk-files?
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/06/2003 11:45:13
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> Currently, all non-NetBSD platforms using pkgsrc should be using
> bootstrap-pkgsrc to, uh, yeah, bootstrap pkgsrc.  They should not ever
> need either devel/bmake nor devel/mk-files.  In fact, installing them
> over a bootstrap-pkgsrc'd system can cause problems.
>
> On NetBSD, for obvious reasons, one should not need either of them as
> well.  So do we still need these two packages?

I want *every* program to be registered.

Maybe I am the only one ... but I use pkgsrc under Linux with all software
via pkgsrc and registered as a package.

I don't want to have to use bootstrap-pkgsrc on my Linux systems. I want
to do a "pkg_add bmake bc file gcc3 mawk tnftp mk-files", untar the
pkgsrc.tar.gz and be ready to use it.

What are the problems with installing over a bootstrap-pkgsrc'd system
(so we can fix or work-around them)?

Also, in some cases, I may need a bmake.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/