Subject: Re: ncurses and terminfo are broken on Solaris/SunOS (Re: pkg/20881)
To: Michael Schroeder <Michael.Schroeder@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/04/2003 13:14:17
[ On Friday, April 4, 2003 at 11:20:54 (+0200), Michael Schroeder wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ncurses and terminfo are broken on Solaris/SunOS (Re: pkg/20881)
>
> > I think in an ideal world "screen" would not do any terminal emulation
> > and would simply maintain as transparent a pipe through to each session
> > as is possible, though of course that means giving up on some of the
> > "bloated" features people have come to expect from "screen".
>
> You don't seem to understand one of the basic functions of screen:
> You can detach the session and reattach later from a totally different
> terminal type. Actually you can attach multiple times with different
> terminals. And all of this is transparent to the (running) applications!

Oh, I understand it all too well!

That's only just one of the bloated features people have come to expect
from "screen".  :-)

People really should learn to re-instantiate their sessions as necessary
and not depend on something like "screen" to hold them in stasis.

Note that many people actually really do use this mis-feature of
"screen" as a substitute for not saving their work more frequently when
they're connecting to remote systems via unreliable links!  Sure it can
be (more than) useful (lifesaving in fact!) if you're in the middle of
typing commands to reconfigure a router halfway around the world that
you've connected to via a dial-up connnection to a host local to the
router, but it gets abused just as often as it saves someone's bacon.

--
								Greg A. Woods