Subject: Re: emacs (20) and x11
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/27/2003 14:31:31
[ On , March 27, 2003 at 18:45:11 (+0100), Johan Danielsson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: emacs (20) and x11
>
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
> >
> > BTW, why do we have both emacs 20 and 21? We don't have emacs 18 or 19...
>
> Bloat.

Perhaps, but that's probably not a good enough reason, and regardless
anyone serious about using emacs as their full-time editor (and/or
e-mail reader and/or news reader, etc. :-) should seriously consider
avoiding all emacs-20.x and 21.0 and 21.1 releases.  All previous
releases have many serious known bugs that will cause crashes at
inopportune times at best, especially on NetBSD/i386.  (even 21.2 has
some lurking bug that eventually kills my VM session, but only after
many days of heavy use, and so far recover-file always does the job
unless the session file gets opened and truncated for write at the worst
time, but having auto-save-timeout short enough to avoid serious loss is
a bit of a pain at times too...)

> Problem with 18 and 19 is that "interesting software" doesn't
> work with them anymore.

19.34 was reasonably stable and reasonably functional too....  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods