Subject: Re: pax for archivers/pax?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/27/2003 02:01:36
On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 07:10:05PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I see pkgsrc/pkgtools/pax, but I want a pax that is placed in $LOCALBASE,
> properly registers as a package, has a good COMMENT (like "Multipurpose
> archiver and directory copying tool"), and a DESCR that really describes
> it.

pkgtools/pax is vastly out of date....

> Also, I see the filename is old and I am interested in having the useful
> (and cool) mtree specification feature.
>
> I currently use pax from bootstrap-pkgsrc (under a non-NetBSD). Is this
> pax available by itself as a single download?

not that I know of.

> Has anyone made a package for a newer pax?

Yes, as with mtree, I've been working on this.

> Is it okay to have two pax's in pkgsrc?
>
> Maybe one pax in pkgsrc would be okay, but have some variable which can be
> defined to force if it becomes a real package or not. Any comments?

This is similar to what I was thinking about. In some situations, you
don't want pax to be registered since deinstalling it would mean
breaking the package tools.

I don't know if there is a good reason to have multiple differing
versions of pax in the tree named 'pax'.

g.