Subject: Re: Solaris MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
From: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/23/2003 14:27:50
* On 2003-03-23 at 14:01 GMT, Takahiro Kambe wrote:

> Current pkgsrc dosen't seems to care about SunOS 4.X stuff very much
> and I think that supporting SunOS 4.X is wasted effort since it is too
> old and can't handle these day's security problem any more.

Fair enough, makes things easier.

> > rather than fudging each config.sub (and pkgsrc/mk/gnu-config/config.sub),
>
> I think that patching config.sub is better.

Who's going to go around and add CONFIG_SUB_OVERRIDE=YES to every single
Makefile that needs it then?

> o GNU configure itself generate fuzzy way system platform.  I've
>   checked on SunOS 5.8,
>
>   (1) No argument configure results "sparc-sun-solaris2.8".

Sure, but we always specify an argument, so this is a moot point.

>   (2) Giving -host=sparc-sun-solaris results "sparc-sun-solaris2".
>       (Yes, this is config.sub's result.)

That's exactly my point.  Changing a single variable to match what every
package currently does is IMHO a lot simpler and neater than changing
the vendor script to match our "broken" behaviour, then have to fudge
that behaviour in a ton of Makefiles.

> o I believe that current pkgsrc use "Solaris" as SunOS 5.X based
>   system and recent Solaris aren't Solaris 2.X but Solaris X.
>
> Thus using solaris2 isn't good name.  If we rellay support Solaris 1,
> then we should use names like SunOS 4.X and SunOS 5.X.

Ideally we'd distinguish between every single OS release so that we can
preserve binary compatability, but we don't even do that for NetBSD
versions yet, so I see a lot of pain in doing it for Solaris.  Yes,
using *-*-sunosx.y would be better.

> > unless there are plans to support Solaris 1.x machines in the future,
> > but I'm not confident this is the "correct" fix (indeed it doesn't
> > completely fix the currently-broken ruby install on Solaris as that also
> > mangles out the -sun- part) so would appreciate some clarity.
>
> As for ruby packge, I'll finish to ruby-base package to work fine
> under Solaris.

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Perkin - Internet Operations Engineer - BBC Internet Services
24x7 Hotline: +44 (0)1628 407 777 (x37777) - http://support.bbc.co.uk/