Subject: separate packages for gcc-2.95.3 and gcc3? And a wrapper for gcc?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/22/2003 12:00:51
I think it would be a good idea to use a different package name for the
gcc 3 package, so both versions can be installed at same time.

This would be useful, because some software builds require old gcc and
some require new gcc.

On one of my systems, for a few months my gcc 3 was named gcc3. And it
seemed fine.

 $ pkg_info | grep gcc
 gcc-2.95.3          GNU Compiler Collection
 gcc3-3.2.1          GNU Compiler Collection

Any comments?

And I think a wrapper package for gcc would be useful too. Basically it
would be a metapackage that creates symlinks from
${LOCALBASE}/bin/* to ${LOCALBASE}/gcc-whatever/bin/ and libs (includes or
anything else).

The wrapper could honor a SELECT_GCC definition.

(I need it because my only GCC on some systems is the one installed via
pkgsrc. Just manually making symlinks for binaries is not enough, because
building buildlink2 packages may fail because of missing
work/.buildlink/gcc-* links. A work-around is adding "LDFLAGS+=
${RPATH_FLAG}/usr/gcc-3.2.1/lib" as needed.)

Any comments?

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/