Subject: Re: hardcoded etc/rc.d in PLISTs instead of RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2003 13:39:58
[ On Friday, March 21, 2003 at 10:15:38 (-0800), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: hardcoded etc/rc.d in PLISTs instead of RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR
>
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Julio Merino wrote:
>
> > I don't agree with this.  It is better if PLIST's contain all files
> > installed under localbase, so you can grep them... and print-plist just
> > works; no need to remove those files from the plist when creating or
> > updating a package...
>
> Maybe the print-PLIST can check for the RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR and place
> some @comment in front of it.

Oh that "print-PLIST"!  What a broken useless piece of junk!  :-)

Seriously though anyone using "print-PLIST" had better have a _LOT_ more
of a clue than expecting that thing to work properly in all cases!

Even more seriously:  Now we have the METALOG facility in "install" I
don't see why we can't use it as an initial PLIST-maker instead of that
most bogus and lame attempt at using find -- then "print-PLIST" might
even work without having to be chrooted.  The RCD_SCRIPTS installer
could then easily avoid triggering a METALOG entry and all would be good.

--
								Greg A. Woods