Subject: Re: hardcoded etc/rc.d in PLISTs instead of RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2003 17:43:27
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:14:34 -0800 (PST)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> I don't understand why you say to change it to one thing and then say it
> is not tunable.
>
> Also, if it is not tunable, why does it have "?=" (and maybe I overlooked
> that documentation).

Search for a previous mail posted by jlam in another thread about the
same thing.  He said that this variable is not intended to be changed
by the user.

> I understand the PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS is used to copy the rc.d files into
> place.
>
> And it works fine (for the several packages I have tried) even when I
> set my RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR.

Because you are not supposed to change it (again, according to that mail).

> The fix is easy.

and ugly (for the plist things), imo.

Just as we have an standard place to install example files (that is,
share/examples/package/), there is one for rc.d scripts (actually,
etc/rc.d/).  So what we have to do is change the default to
share/examples/rc.d/ and fix packages acordingly. (just fixing plists
in most cases).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>