Subject: Re: libtool problems when buildinglinking net/bind9 under Linux
To: Sebastian P. <sebastian-p@gmx.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/19/2003 09:56:44
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Sebastian P. wrote:

> > I am looking at mk/buildlink2/fake-la to see why it is missing an
> > argument. The $version appears to be blank.

> i had a similar problem too. the cause was that i had no libpthread.la
> file in /usr. the solution was to create that .la file (take another .la
> file as a template ...)

Thanks for the lead.

I tried to make a couple, but received:

 libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libpthread.la' is not a valid libtool archive

But I am not sure of the format. Doing a search for the file on the net
didn't help. I did find one that I extracted from an RPM which I also
tried to base mine on.

I did look at a few examples of different libtool archives and at the
libpthread.la on a NetBSD box.

I have a share/libtool/ltmain.sh tool as installed from
libtool-base-1.4.20010614nb13 package.

Can anyone point me documentation on fixing this?

Can anyone provide a working libpthread.la for my system?

Why would my system be missing it? (It was Debian Linux; the Debian
packages do not provide any libpthread.la file, but they do provide
libpthread.so and libpthread.a.)

The files I have are:
 /lib/libpthread-0.9.so
 /lib/libpthread.so.0
 /usr/lib/libpthread.a
 /usr/lib/libpthread.la  (I created this .la)
 /usr/lib/libpthread.so
 /usr/lib/libpthread_p.a

This pthread was installed when I built and installed glibc 2.2.5 (back in
November.) I have built bind9 since then, so I am not sure what changed
between then and now. I have my build and install logs and I never had a
libpthread.la before. (I guess maybe something changed with the
buildlink2, but I don't know.)

One libpthread.la that I tried follows:

dlname='libpthread.so'
library_names='libpthread-0.9.so libpthread.so.0 libpthread.so'
old_library='libpthread.a'
dependency_libs=' -L/usr/lib'
current=0
age=0