Subject: Re: RFC: USE_ARTS, USE_ESD
To: Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/16/2003 12:44:58
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:31:47 +0100
Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> > I've added Makefile knobs for supporting esd and/or arts in SDL and libao
> > (pkg/20727, pkg/20728). Since I switch between the worlds on a regular
> > basis, I need both. So maybe we could introduce an USE_ARTS and USE_ESD
> > to the pkgs (like USE_CUPS/USE_OPENLDAP) ?
> While re-reading the last sentince it sounds a bit weird. :-) What I meant
> is that pkgsrc makes it at the moment hard to switch between KDE and Gnome.
> While esd is supported by most pkgs, arts is disabled most of the time (eg.
> mplayer, SDL, wine). Making seperate xyz-arts, xyz-esd, xzx-* doesn't help
> for people switching the desktops. (Rebuilding the pkgs is IMHO againt the
> POLA.). And activating esd and arts in all supporting pkgs by default could
> be a bit overkill.

I like the idea.  This is a host-based option (i.e., people will decide if
they use esound, for gnome, or arts, for kde).  We could use these options
for many packages that actually use esd unconditionally (and forget arts,
as you say).  The problem is... which default values do these options have? ;)
Both to YES, both to NO...?

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>