Subject: Re: pkg/19066 -- please add uname to sh-utils
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/14/2003 11:58:28
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Don't build and install the GNU "uname" to avoid conflicts with the
> "gnome-utils" package if "xpkgwedge" is used.
>
> What do you suggest how we solve that?

Sorry, Thomas, I forgot that you told me this (off-list) in December.

I think uname is uname.

Maybe we could do like what is done for gid:

# misc/gnome-utils installs a 'guname' program, so conflict with it if
# GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX == 'g'
.  if ${GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX} == "g"
CONFLICTS+=             gnome-utils-[0-9]*
.  endif

My suggestions in December (also off-list) were:

  Maybe gnome-utils should change its guname to gnome-uname.

  Or file-utils, uname could be file-utils-uname. (I don't like.)

  This reminds me: many of the name conflicts in all packages as a
  workaround the conflicts should just be packagename-filename (so can be
  still available).

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/