Subject: libcrypto vs. libcrypt
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/11/2003 22:13:34
So, I ran into an irritating problem with xscreensaver-gnome yesterday.
It appears that, because I have Kerberos enabled, and therefore it's
linked with libcrypto, that the version of crypt(3) in libcrypto is
overriding the one in libcrypt, and therefore my Blowfish password
entries do not work.

I sniffed around, and this problem also looks likely to affect OpenLDAP,
Postgres and ntop2.

One possible fix for this is to remove crypt(3) from libcrypto, and link
libcrypto against libcrypt, thereby ensuring that the function is still
present, but providing the canonical/correct version.

Could someone take this on and fix it?  Please?