Subject: Re: GTK2 and RENDER extension
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/09/2003 00:19:29
On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 18:20:23 +0100, Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 12:18:40PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > > $ bluefish --help
> > > Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display "lowden:0.0".
> > > No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
> > > library is not correctly configured. You may need to
> > > edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
> > > about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
> > > page and on http://fontconfig.org
>
> For starters, try fixing the second part of the error message,
> and run
> 	fc-cache -v
> as root.

Thanks, Thomas.  That was exactly the right treatment.

Contrary to the fontconfig message, I didn't have to diddle with
fonts.conf.  I did make sure to copy over my truetype fonts, but otherwise
I just ran fc-cache and saw my GTK2 apps run.

Does anyone else think fc-cache should be run by "make install"?

--jkl