Subject: Re: CVS commit: othersrc/bootstrap-pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/01/2003 12:06:32
MLH <MLH@goathill.org> wrote:

> Ok. I figured it out. gcc's strip is what is causing the problem.
> Gcc's strip doesn't grok the workshop compiler's objects. So just
> specifying which compiler to use isn't enough, one has to either
> change one's path and put /usr/ccs/bin before the gcc compiler or
> have some way of specifying which strip /usr/ucb/install is to use.

Well, our strip(1) claims:

  -s      install exec's the command strip(1) to strip binaries so that in-
          stall can be portable over a large number of systems and binary
          types.  If the environment variable STRIP is set, it is used as
          the strip(1) program.

> I don't see anything in the /usr/ucb/install manpage that would
> allow one to specify this.  /usr/ccs/bin/strip works. Sure would
> be handy if this were documented.

Maybe /usr/ucb/install also honors the STRIP variable?  If so, setting
STRIP=/your/favorite/strip
in /etc/mk.conf should work, no?

-Jan

--
I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.